Web port-allegany.blogspot.com
olean-ny.blogspot.com

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Friday Night Fish Fry

You can get a good fish fry almost anyplace in town on a Friday night. Heck, you can even buy a fish fry dinner at our local Jubilee. Fox's Pizza, Ron's Place, and The Daily Bread all have the famous Friday night fish fry on the dinner menu in this area. It's a wonderful treat which has been around for centuries, brought here by our ancestors.

Hmmm, my Uncle Dan Lane used to blame it on the Mackerel snappers (aka: Roman Catholics and their staple, if I recall was every Friday to eat fish, not just during lent) Of course, Uncle Dan could say stuff like that because he was only talking about himself. About a month ago or so ago, I was in the Two Mile and mentioned "Mackerel Snappers" to my friend Dawn, she was puzzled and I said, OH, you just ask young Dan, he'll know what a Mackerel snapper is. I was shocked that he couldn't remember having heard his dad use that phrase. Heck, I didn't even live with the man and I remember it clearly. Maybe it was one of those things he just never said around his kids. Here's to the tradition of Friday night fish frys in McKean County.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Web port-allegany.blogspot.com
olean-ny.blogspot.com